Thursday, April 29, 2010

Not the best news


Today Davy's MRI results came back. I knew it wasn't good when the Doctor asked me to have a seat. Basically her pituitary gland is in the wrong place.

This will affect her thyroid, her growth(for her body and brain), her growing through puberty, metabolism, her cortisol hormone(which we knew about)and her optic nerve(a possibility of blindness or just spotty vision)
When the Doctors mentioned blindness I immediately thought, no way she can see me. She totally smiles at me and makes eye contact. They had an opthamologist come in to check her optic nerve and he said it looked good. So no blindness(what a relief.)
Then an endocrinologist came into explain what all this would mean for us and Davy. The good news is....... all of this can be managed through hormones and steroids. She will be taking some meds orally and will most likely need a shot every night for her growth hormone. The most worrisome part is the cortisol. Scott and I will need to take extra precautions here. If she were to get sick(a cold or flu) she would need a steroid shot and go straight to an ER. This is gonna be difficult to manage with 3 germy boys. My Neonatal Doctor then told me how Davy's malrotation surgery saved her life. If she were sent home with us not knowing about her cortisol levels, it would have been catastrophic. It's amazing how already that unpleasant experience has turned into our biggest blessing.


** Just a side note. I got home from the hospital today to find a package full of the cutest hair bows for Davy from my friend, Elaine. It really did cheer me up and it couldn't of come on a better day. Thank You Elaine.**

6 comments:

Georgia said...

I am happy to hear that her optic nerves are good.....she needs to see you as much as you need to see her : )

Little Davy is such a fighter...she can work thru all these obstacles. So thankful for these amazing doctors who can lead you thru all of this! I continue to pray for Davy, you, Scott, Max, Ollie, Harper AND the doctors and nurses who love and care for Davy!!!!!

Kim said...

xoxo thinking of you guys all the time. It sounds like Davy is getting good care and I'm glad she sees her cute mom and family.

Melany said...

so glad the doctors are doing everything they can, and that because of the surgery they found out some vital information, and that it's treatable, that is a blessing for sure.

Carrie Anne said...

oh ruth she is so adorable! seeing her makes me want another baby so much! sending healthy vibes your way.....

Jones Family said...

She is one amazing little baby. I think of you and your family often.

Pemberley Court said...

OOOOh I am so glad that they got there! Sorry it was so long. You are more than welcome and let me know if you want more:) Davy is such a precious sweetie. You are an awesome mom Ruth. Praying for you all!