Thursday, July 29, 2010

Wow , what a week. I think I've spent half of the past 7 days at Doctor appointments and the other half holding a pacifier. Since Davy has been sick, we've had to see the Doctors more. We found out she has an Adult strain sinus infection(only Davy). I think she's pretty bummed out about it, hence all the pacifier holding. She has needed a lot more love the past couple of days, poor thing.
Amongst the many Doctor visits we had Davy's first cranio facial team appointment. They will be the people we will be working with to fix up Davy's clefty. I was really excited/nervous for this. Fixing Davy up is gonna be a long hard road and I am not sure what to expect. These appointments last about 4 hours. You basically sit in a room and the various Doc's come in and do there thing. We met with dental, ENT, Genetics, plastic surgeon, speech therapist, audiologist and a social worker. Phew, I'm tired just typing that. The Dentist confirmed her toothy and said it will most likely need to get pulled. He said it could be done during her lip/nose surgery, you know kill 3 birds with one stone. I was really anxious to hear what her plastic surgeon had to say, and it wasn't really what I had hoped for. I know that most clefties need numerous(I've heard upto 13 sometimes) surgeries over their life, but I guess I was kinda hoping Davy would be different. Wrong. Usually the lip gets repaired in one, 2 hour(ish) surgery, with some touch ups down the road. Davy will need 2 surgeries to do what the 1 should. Her cleft lip is large and she doesn't have a lot of lip tissue. So the first surgery will be to bring the cleft closer, then after that heals(6 months later) they will complete the repair in a second surgery. After he said this my brain just switched off. I just kept thinking 2...2 surgeries. Why? Why can't this be easier for her? He really didn't go into crazy details about it either. Or maybe he did but I was to emotional to hear him. Ends up we have to make another appointment to his private office and things will be spelled out more clearly there. Of course his soonest appointment was like 3 weeks away........ whatever. In the meantime I will enjoy her large clefty smile.
Do you see her lil toothy?

9 comments:

jill said...

I love her clefty smiles! I am going to miss them when they are gone!

tracyjax said...

she is the sweetest little girl. her eyes smile when she smiles. it's so stinkin cute!

Caitlin said...

It looks like she is laughing in the pictures. Have you heard any giggles?

Melany said...

i love that second to last picture. such cute big smiles! that's too bad about the multiple surgeries, at least davy won't remember any of it. she'll be amazed at how much she went through when she grows up.

Georgia said...

I'm sorry to hear that the appointment was a hard one for you Ruth. Just know I am keeping you ALL in my prayers during all of these appointments.

And with all that said......
Davy is the sweetest, for darling little girl!!! This is the truth....when I see her smile....I SMILE. She is such a beautiful little girl.

Utah Warriors said...

I found your blog through CJane. I just want to say what a beautiful mom and beautiful baby. I have three boys and have always hoped for a girl. What a special little spirit you have been blessed with. Thank you so much for being willing to share Davy's story with us. Our Heavenly Father definately sent Davy to the right mom and family.

Elizabeth Plock said...

From one clefty mom to you: Hang in there!! There are a lot of surgeries, but it's so much easier when they're little. Suggestion: Take tons of pictures and journal everything with them. I have a "medical adventures" photo album. I know it might sound wierd, but I have pictures of every stage, before and after pics, pics in the hospital, pics all swollen, pics with docs and favorite nurses, you name it. It's amazing to look through it now, 10 years later, and see all that my Caleb went through, and to remember the good times and feelings that came through at those hard times. And the funny thing is, though you are probably anxious to get her cleft fixed, you will so miss the clefty smiles! Looking at pics of Davy make me miss my clefty boy! Enjoy while you can!!!

amber buhrley said...

Oh my! I love her so much!

Beth said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! that 1 tooth smile!